Hunting, Fishing & Gathering

The Pokagon Band of Potawatomi approved the Hunting and Gathering Rules and Regulations as well as the Hunting Code on February 16, 2015. These documents went through several iterations and were developed with the inclusion of tribal citizens’ input.

Following those regulations, there are many types of licenses and permits available, like tags for hunting deer and turkey and tree tags distributed with licenses for individuals wanting to harvest ash or burls.

You can view the Hunting and Gathering Rules and Regulations, the associated Code, and the maps that are referenced within the regulations below.

  • Hunting and fishing, and gathering permits are required for harvesting activities on Tribal properties. Pokagon Tribal citizens and their spouses are allowed to hunt, fish, and gather on tribal lands
  • Permits may be obtained at the Pokagon DNR office 32142 Edwards St. Dowagiac, MI 49047 and at the Tribal Police Department located at 58155 M-51 South Dowagiac, MI 49047. 
  • A valid Pokagon Band Tribal ID must be presented at time of permit issue.
  • Trust Lands: Tribal hunting and fishing law is developed from the state of Michigan hunting/fishing seasons. Therefore follow State of Michigan Regulations
  • Fee Lands: Follow seasons and laws pertinent to state of Indiana and Michigan, as appropriate
  • For current hunting/fishing season schedules and details, please visit and
  • Please place a copy of your permit on your vehicle's dashboard to verify your Pokagon citizenship.
  • Please legibly mark all tree stands with your name and Tribal ID number in a clear spot on the front of stand/blind. 
  • It is recommended that each person obtain a Michigan and/or Indiana state hunting/fishing license along with their tribal permit to avoid potential jurisdicational disputes regarding trust lands versus fee lands. 
Designated Hunting Areas
  • Please click on the link below to access maps
New Hunting, Fishing, and Gathering Regulations require that non-citizen spouses show proof of marriage to a citizen to be issued a license. Please update your information with the Enrollment Office to be sure that you can be issued a license upon request. You may also request a map.