Purpose: The Department of Education shall provide additional financial aid to eligible Pokagon Band citizens that are enrolled in higher education at an accredited institution. To apply for the Higher Education Assistance Program, please submit the completed Higher Education Assistance Application (below) and all forms as attachment to DOE.HEAP@PokagonBand-nsn.gov.
Timeframe: August 1 – July 31
Application Deadlines: Any person who seeks to participate in the program, including current students, shall complete and submit to the Department an application by the following deadlines:
- August 1st for the Fall semester
- December 1st for the Winter or Spring semesters
- May 1st for the Summer Semester
In addition to the completed application students must submit:
- Direct Deposit Form
- FAFSA – Student Aid Report
- Unofficial transcript or high school diploma
- Copy of class schedule
- Financial Aid Verification Form
Note: Failure to adhere to the stipulated deadlines may result in the application being delayed or rejected, as determined by the department.
Funding: Eligible students will receive up to the following financial assistance based on unmet needs.
Associate’s Degree $150/class
Bachelor’s Degree $150/class
Master’s Degree $300/class
Doctorate Degree $300/class
Higher Education Scholarship
Associate’s Degree $200/credit Hour
Bachelor’s Degree $400/credit Hour
Master’s Degree $600/credit Hour
Doctorate Degree $800/credit Hour
- Must be an enrolled citizen of the Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians
- Must be officially accepted to an accredited institution
- Must apply for Free Application of Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submit Student Aid Report (SAR) to the Pokagon Band Department of Education
- Must apply for the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver if attending a public institution in Michigan and having a blood quantum level of ¼ or more (Michigan residents only)
- Must apply for all eligible campus-based financial aid.
- Must be enrolled as either a full-time or part-time undergraduate or graduate student
- Undergraduate students must have/maintain a minimum cumulative semester GPA of 2.0
- Graduate students must have/maintain a minimum cumulative semester GPA of 3.0
- If on probation, must follow and adhere to the Academic Improvement Plan
Free Application for Federal Financial Aid
You can file the FAFSA for the upcoming school year after October 1, though you can apply for your PIN# anytime. You must apply every year you are in school. There is no cost to apply for the FAFSA.
For more information, contact your high school’s guidance office, your college financial aid office, Higher Education Resource Specialist Polly Mitchell, or Higher Education Specialist Joseph Avance, at the Pokagon Band Department of Education (888) 330-1234.
Polly Mitchell Higher Education Resource Specialist
Joseph Avance Higher Education Specialist
Department of Education
(269) 782-0887 or (888) 330-1234
Fax (269) 782-0985